Giving place and time to family heirloom (silver watch)

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dr.pein

Giving place and time to family heirloom (silver watch)

Post by dr.pein »

Hello,
I am trying to give some place and time to this family heirloom (silver watch)

I know it is German and post 18888 (and the crown, crescent and the "0.800" seem to confirm that) ... but is that, unfortunately, is as far as I got.

From a different angle this another hallmark that looks like a pheasant (??), I'd say, but I am not sure where that leaves me.

There is also a "lid" between the clockwork and the back of the watch and that appears to be French/Swiss (??) and say "Montoir" and "Cynlindre" (??) 10 "Rubi", which I guess is the clockwork itself?

Any help, pointers, etc. greatly appreciated.

Martin
legrandmogol
contributor

Re: Giving place and time to family heirloom (silver watch)

Post by legrandmogol »

The grouse mark is Swiss and so too is the pocket watch most likely. Probably exported to Germany. That grouse mark for 800 silver was used from 1882 to 1933. The inside cover reads "remontoir cylindre 10 rubis" which means the pocket watch is stem wound and has 10 rubies or jewels. The case and movement are probably by different companies. The watchmaker would be marked on the back of movement or more likely, with Swiss watches anyway, inside the movement and would require you to take apart the movement to find any potential makers marks.
dr.pein

Re: Giving place and time to family heirloom (silver watch)

Post by dr.pein »

legrandmogol wrote:The grouse mark is Swiss and so too is the pocket watch most likely. Probably exported to Germany. That grouse mark for 800 silver was used from 1882 to 1933. The inside cover reads "remontoir cylindre 10 rubis" which means the pocket watch is stem wound and has 10 rubies or jewels. The case and movement are probably by different companies. The watchmaker would be marked on the back of movement or more likely, with Swiss watches anyway, inside the movement and would require you to take apart the movement to find any potential makers marks.
Thanks! that is very helpful.
I'll see if I find a bit info on that case.

Thanks for your help.

Return to “European Jewelry”