Do You Know this Maker?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
RPringle

Do You Know this Maker?

Post by RPringle »

(admin photo edit)

My grandfather was a British and then Canadian Engineer. My grandmother wore this broach all the time.
Can you help me find where and when this was made? Thank you.
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Do You Know this Maker?

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Your grandmother's brooch was assayed in London in 1915/16. The maker's name has at least one letter missing from the front, probably due to a poor striking of the punch. The letters BRS are short for "Brothers" but without knowing the missing letter or letters it is difficult to work out what the full mark might be. My best guess is Corke Brothers & Co:

Phil
RPringle

Post by RPringle »

I am trying to figure out how to send a thank you, Phil, for your reply. The time period 1915/16 is exactly when Grandpa was in England (prior to being shipped to the trenches in France). With the Canadians, at that point, and a betrothed lady back at home - totally appropriate to having this brooch made. With a different perspective it certainly looks as though a letter could be missing, as you said. I'll try to put in a third picture showing that.
I've read now about Corke Brothers & Co - surely seems right. Thank you SO much for this info. My Grandma wore the brooch all her life, and it is her daughter, mu aunt, now 89, who asked if I could find any information about its origins.
Very grateful,
Ruth
Lore450

Post by Lore450 »

Certainly looks like Corke Brothers & Co which among other things manufactured sweetheart brooches. Lion = Silver, Leopard Head = London, Letter U = 1915.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
This is very nice sweetheart brooch and fully marked, too,which is rather uncommon compared with many examples simply marked sterling during the Great War.It is still a mystery to me that so many sweetheart brooches are without British hallmarks.Possibly made elsewhere inthe Commonwealth.
Yours has King`s crown of George V, the badge bears Queen`s crown now.
Regards
RPringle

Post by RPringle »

Thank you both, Lore450 and AG2012, for sharing your knowledge! So very appreciated.
Ruth

Return to “European Jewelry”