Unknown makers mark on sterling silver locket

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
thistle

Unknown makers mark on sterling silver locket

Post by thistle »

Hello forum folk,

I'm sure you get sick of these constant posts(!), however a locket I own has been nagging me, and I was hoping the community could shed some light on it...

After my own research, I'm still confused as to the date/origin of this locket. I hope that the photographs below are not too large for the forum...tried resizing on Photobucket but I'm not sure if it worked.

Top is the reverse side with marks, bottom image is the actual locket...

The information I was given was that this is a Birmingham 1887/1888 locket (sold to me on the premise that it was Victorian era...we'll see), but I think it's 1912 because of the lack of duty stamp. Also, I think I'm going out on a limb here, but that maker's mark is almost gone...would be surprised if anyone could identify it, but maybe a magician out there can do it.

Lastly, the design confuses me, it's quite unlike any other Victorian/Edwardian locket I've seen, at least online. I absolutely adore it all the same but I'm also very curious.

Anyways, apologies for the essay!

Cuznerfan
contributor

Re: Unknown makers mark on sterling silver locket

Post by Cuznerfan »

Hello Thistle,
seller was correct date is 1887-8 (no duty mark because lockets were exempt from hallmarking and therefore exempt from duty), the maker possibly JF for James Fenton- 74 Great Hampton Street, Birmingham. With the thistle, shamrock and rose motif may have been a 50th jubilee commemorative souvenir locket. Kind regards Craig
thistle

Post by thistle »

Hi Cuznerfan,

Ah I'm really excited to hear that the era is correct! :D Endless thank yous for the confirmation, like I said I love it all the same but I do have a weakness for Victorian era things.

I'll have a look around for this James Fenton fellow, would be nice if I could dig up some further information.

Again, thank you!
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Thistle,

Welcome to the Forum.

See: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... ton#p89222

Trev.
thistle

Post by thistle »

Thank you for the link! I'll have to pass this info on to the person who bought the locket for me :)

Return to “European Jewelry”