Antique Iron Cross Sterling Ring. Possibly WWI German. Help with Mark and Date Please

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
mslittlefoot

Antique Iron Cross Sterling Ring. Possibly WWI German. Help with Mark and Date Please

Post by mslittlefoot »

Hello.
My mother found this ring about 15 years ago in a home in NY that was built in 1908. It is marked STERLING. And then there is another mark next to it, that as far as I can tell is some type of circle with 4 openings. I looked under a jewelers loop, and magnified with my camera, but I just can't make out the mark. I attached the marks and the ring. I can try for better pictures just let me know. It was hard to capture it inside of the ring.

I found almost exact ring online that was listed as "WWI Germany Iron Cross Ring". It has the same cross and it looked like it had those little balls along the ring too. Similar rings with the iron cross in that size were listed as WWI Trench Art.

-Can anyone tell me if it is German, I thought it was not since it says STERLING and not marked with numbers. From what I researched online, I thought it would be American or possibly Irish since marked STERLING, but I am just not sure.
But I can't find any american iron crosses... is it a different type of cross? The house the ring was found in was a convent for a few years around the 60s.
-Does anyone know what the date range may be?

Thank you very much for your help. I was convinced it was German until I looked more and realized German used numbers (or am I wrong?).
THanks!!

dragonflywink
co-admin

Re: Antique Iron Cross Sterling Ring. Possibly WWI German. Help with Mark and Date Please

Post by dragonflywink »

Can't make out the mark either, but looks 20th century American to me - it's a rosary ring, should be ten knobs forming the decade...

~Cheryl
mslittlefoot

Re: Antique Iron Cross Sterling Ring. Possibly WWI German. Help with Mark and Date Please

Post by mslittlefoot »

Thank you for your comment. That would make sense from where it was found, and there are 10 beads. I had no idea such a thing exists! And it's funny that the person who is selling the exact same ring, is completely wrong, though there were iron cross rings with dates on them from WWI that looked a little similar.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Marked sterling means it cannot be German patriotic ring.
With ten beads it`s a rosary ring.The cross looks like German iron cross medal, but nothing to do with it.
Regards
mslittlefoot

Post by mslittlefoot »

Thank you for answering. So much information out there but 1 question here, and I have my answers! I appreciate your help. Thank you.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Generally speaking, the form is a Maltese cross. Now think about depictions of the crusaders bearing a cross on their outfits. You'll find it appearing in certain religious related shields (red on white, or reversed). On the ring, probably speaks to this person's dedication to their faith or order...that whole "defender of the faith" concept associated with King Richard et al.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Not really a Maltese Cross - it's a Cross Pattée...

~Cheryl
mslittlefoot

Post by mslittlefoot »

I am learning so much on this post. Thank you I never even heard of the Cross Pattée before. And the house used to be a convent, so being worn as a sign of fait definitely makes sense. Thank you for the replies!

Return to “American Jewelry”