Silver Enamel Match Holder / Snuff Box

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
tzarevich

Silver Enamel Match Holder / Snuff Box

Post by tzarevich »

Hello, I have a small 4.4 cm tal and 3.9 cm wide match holder / snuff box which is made of silver with an intricate enamel design.

There is one hallmark on the bottom, any ideas as to origin and meaning?

tzarevich

Re: Silver Enamel Match Holder / Snuff Box

Post by tzarevich »

Just following up, is there anyone who can decipher this hallmark?
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

The dimensions and the design might point towards a "Pandan Box" ::: These boxes were used to store "Pan," an edible leaf wrapped in lime paste and nuts and spices :::

These silver Pandan Boxes were made in the "Mugal Empire" and beyond Northern India :: I've been trying to figure out the language, but no luck yet, there are quite a few choices in India and Pakistan, but I really am not quite sure of even the language, much less what the hallmark means :::

I did try, but this one is too difficult for me to figure out, it seems like identifying the language of the script would be the first step ::::
zhaosu
contributor

Post by zhaosu »

Was ist denn das?!

Have to say...it'a newly made fake antique, but the material looks solid silver.

I don't know who made this, but they are known to use a single "紋" mark only, presumably since 2000s. The character came from the word "紋銀" which means fine silver but no one use it in modern life, so it means the mark implied the item was silver but only antique collector can understand. Their 'products' are in different styles and crafts, I don't think I've seen two identical pieces, thus I guess they were hand-made. So what's the purpose?

Return to “Far East”