Chinese Silver & Jade Bowl, help ID maker please

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
NancyCaroline

Chinese Silver & Jade Bowl, help ID maker please

Post by NancyCaroline »

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help identify the maker on this small Chinese silver - and what I believe to be jade - bowl. Thank you in advance for looking!
Nancy
https://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/1/5/0 ... 6096_o.jpg
https://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/1/5/0 ... 6105_o.jpg
https://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/1/5/0 ... 6124_o.jpg
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Chinese Silver & Jade Bowl, help ID maker please

Post by dognose »

Hi Nancy,

You need to embed your images as very few members will click on links.

Trev.
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

your bowl is a modern "fake" and not solid silver but silver plated over what looks like brass. You can see the base metal coming through at the edges of the base. The stone is most likely composite jade or more likely serpentine. You can find tons of these on a popular electronic auction site where they usually call them "antique Tibet silver" etc. The maker's mark is just to make it seem authentic but most likely meaningless.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi.
Chinese fakers really underestimate our intelligence when they offer RARE CHINESE GREEN JADE BOWL for e.g. $ 15.
But surely there must be profit in it, otherwise they would stop faking.
Regards
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

lol it's true and obnoxious. Thanks to the overwhelming quantity of fakes on that "popular internet auction website" I never buy any antiques that ship from China, Malaysia, India, Indonesia, Hungary, Ukraine, Russia, and Belarus. Poland and some other eastern European countries are also on my list to be wary of but the sheer numbers of fakes coming from the first list is overwhelming. They may have some genuine articles for sale but I have never seen them. I wish there was a way to block individual countries listings when searching.
juantotree
contributor

Post by juantotree »

legrandmogol wrote:lol it's true and obnoxious. Thanks to the overwhelming quantity of fakes on that "popular internet auction website" I never buy any antiques that ship from China, Malaysia, India, Indonesia, Hungary, Ukraine, Russia, and Belarus. Poland and some other eastern European countries are also on my list to be wary of but the sheer numbers of fakes coming from the first list is overwhelming. They may have some genuine articles for sale but I have never seen them. I wish there was a way to block individual countries listings when searching.
Problem is, on that auction site there are many sellers with a US or UK adress registered, but the item is still being shipped from China or wherever.
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

True, I have not had that problem yet. I always check their other inventory and see what kind of things they sell and see how much they sell for. I rarely do auctions, usually make an offer or buy it now and they need clear pics. I usually also look for misidentified items because I usually can't afford if it is properly listed.
NancyCaroline

Post by NancyCaroline »

Hi All, Thanks for your responses.
Bummer:(
Bought it at a flea market so thankfully not much $$ into it. Dragons were encrusted with dirt when I bought it, I guess they add that for effect.
Strange, thought it had some age, came with a load of antique sterling cigarette cases, early 20th C British sterling dragon buttons...
I appreciate your help!
Nancy

Return to “Far East”