Makers Mark identification “S.M”, Japanese/Chinese?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Peartree
contributor

Makers Mark identification “S.M”, Japanese/Chinese?

Post by Peartree »

Can anyone please help with the identification of this S.M makers mark? S.M was/were definitely active in the 1890’s and this mark appears on most Liberty & Co Japanese silver of this period that Liberty imported for their London store. Hence most likely it is a Japanese maker. However, some have identified it to a Chinese maker. All thoughts welcome. I should add it has nothing to do with Sampson Mordan, the english maker with similar mark.

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Makers Mark identification “S.M”, Japanese/Chinese?

Post by dognose »

Hi,

I too have seen this mark attributed to an undocumented Canton maker thought to have been working 1840-1880, the work described as "extraordinarily intricate high relief work incorporating partial parcel gilding."

To me though, it screams Japanese. I suppose there is always the possibility of a worker who worked in both countries, or a Chinese silversmith who learned his craft from a Japanese Master. Hopefully more information will come to light soon.

Whoever the maker was, it's a wonderful item.

Trev.
Peartree
contributor

Post by Peartree »

Thank you. I have another S.M mustard which is incredible and also stradles the two countries, though is ultimately very Japanese. Will post in due course.
Peartree
contributor

Post by Peartree »

Here is another S.M piece. Japanese or Chinese? I think Japanese for sure. Brilliantly conceived

zhaosu
contributor

Post by zhaosu »

I have seen a vase and a coffee pot bear this mark before. They were also engraved the engravers' names or alternative names, so that I believe the 'S.M' was for a Japanese export silver retail which is still unknown.
Peartree
contributor

Post by Peartree »

Thank you
Adrien von Ferscht
contributor

Post by Adrien von Ferscht »

Anthony et al

I am actually in the throes of writing an academic paper on the whole "S.M. Enigma". It sahould be published in about 2 weeks time. But the good news is I have finally unpicked all the threads and found the reality behind the mark,

I'm sorry I can't divulge it right here and now; the research has been ongoing on and off for over a year now. I also noted a while back you quote me on your website; hopefully you'll soon be able to update that considerably.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

Adrien von Ferscht
Peartree
contributor

Post by Peartree »

That is quite something, thank you. Please do let me know when and how I can obtain a copy of your article once it is published, thank you.
Adrien von Ferscht
contributor

Post by Adrien von Ferscht »

Article solving the S.M. mystery once and for all: http://chinese-export-silver.com.gridhosted.co.uk/DmccT
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Very interesting article!

~Cheryl
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

::: The article is amazing and the pair of vases is really incredible, this style of silver artistry is truly astounding in its level of detail :::

Return to “Far East”