Is this bowl Malaysian and if so where from?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SilverK
contributor

Is this bowl Malaysian and if so where from?

Post by SilverK »

Hi Forum,

I think this silver bowl is Malaysian c1900, but the script doesn't seem similar to the usual Jawi script for Kelantan. I can't find any other marks indicating the maker. Can anybody advise a) where it's from if not Malaysia and b) what the script reads?

As always, your help is very welcome,

Silverk.

Aguest
contributor

Re: Is this bowl Malaysian and if so where from?

Post by Aguest »

I have a piece with a similar 4-petaled-flower motif and a similar signature, I believe it is from a province in India, that is my best guess, there were many cultures so it is difficult for me to say which one exactly, the script reminds me of the designs of the coins of the Travancore Kingdom, and although I do not know the language it depicts, I am thinking a region of India, perhaps investigating the silver of India circa 1900 would discover something?
SilverK
contributor

Post by SilverK »

Hi Aguest,

Thanks very much indeed for that suggestion. I have a Travancore photo frame in my private collection made up of their very small coins and so I can see where you are coming from. However, I think the language is Jawi. Also, a friend of mine, a renown Indian silver expert, has seen and handled the bowl and has confirmed that it isn't Indian.

So, sadly, I don't think that is the solution!

Thanks anyway,

Silverk.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Now that I see the silver of Brunei, it seems a more closer match for my canister-type of object, so I think it's at least closer, Brunei, Malay ___ I just thought it looked like my other canister which has a "peacock" hallmark from India, but now I see the differences ___

Anyway, research the silver of Brunei, and see what you think, at least it might point you in the right direction ___

Return to “Far East”