Yogya Silver Canister?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Aguest
contributor

Yogya Silver Canister?

Post by Aguest »

Hello, would this be Yogya silver? Is there another possibility? It was quite tarnished when I found it, but there is a tiny maker's mark of three initials:

Aguest
contributor

Re: Yogya Silver Canister?

Post by Aguest »

The same extremely tiny "MET" hallmark is stamped on the underside of the lid, but it is not as clear as the "MET" hallmark which is struck in the bottom of the jar ___ I find it unusual that that "OVIO" hallmark is on the outside of the bottom, but the hallmark "MET" is stamped on the inside of the bottom, if that makes any sense, I am not quite sure how to put that in words ___ basically, the bottom of the canister is made of one thin sheet of silver, and there are two different hallmarks stamped on both sides of that one thin piece of silver ___
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I did find a few similar details on silver from Burma, and one curious detail is what appears to be fish scales on the legs of the figures, I am not sure what this detail means, but I did find it curious that the figures on my canister appear to have fish scales on the legs ___

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

And now I have learned that the figure could be a "Kinnara" which is a beautiful angel with the lower half of a swan and so those would be feathers rather than scales, it seems very likely that these are representations of "Kinnara" figures, I did notice lots of "Kinnara" figures in Thailand culture and mythology, so if Burma is not a likely candidate then perhaps Thailand would be the best choice, this is the extent of my knowledge at this point ___

Return to “Far East”