French coaster - maker and date request

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SilverK
contributor

French coaster - maker and date request

Post by SilverK »

Hi, I wonder if anyone on the forum is able to identify the maker of this French bottle coaster, where it was made and some idea of date. The symbol in the maker's mark may be a glove and, going out on a limb here (pun intended!) the letter preceding the symbol looks like an M constructed from a man holding two very long ladies gloves! There's no '1' in the Minerva stamp.

I think it unlikely that anyone on the French site can help with the Chinese/Japanese that's underneath, but eventually I'd like to find out what that says as well. The brown base (red underneath) is actually made entirely from lacquer.

Any help most appreciated!

dognose
Site Admin

Re: French coaster - maker and date request

Post by dognose »

Hi SilverK,

I've absolutely no idea if there's any connection, but there was a Maurice Lespous of Paris who used an open hand in his mark:

Only offering it as a route for further research.

Trev.
SilverK
contributor

Post by SilverK »

Hi Trev,

I can see where you're coming from and maybe there is a connection. Hopefully, someone can cast further light on this.

Many thanks,

Silverk
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

The mark is “AM[conjoined]L with a glove” for brothers André Louis Langlois (1886-1959) & Maurice Georges Langlois (1890-1946), who succeeded their father Émile Léon Langlois at 23 rue Etienne-Marcel in 1924.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi blakstone,

Thank you for supplying the information.

I'll move the topic to the Far East section to see if we can get any information on the applied writing.

Trev.
SilverK
contributor

Post by SilverK »

Hi Blakstone,

Thanks very much indeed for such a precise and clear answer!

Hopefully, I'll get some useful information from the Far East section as well - thanks Trev.

Silverk.

Return to “Far East”