Burmese or Indian bowl

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
tigerchipz

Burmese or Indian bowl

Post by tigerchipz »

There are no hallmarks or anything. It's 5cm diameter and 3cm high. Anyone know anything about this please, possible date range?
davidross
contributor

Re: Burmese or Indian bowl

Post by davidross »

It looks to me like the bowl of a cocktail or cordial that is missing its base and stem. If it is indeed silver, then it probably had some marks on the missing parts.

That said, from the rather crude workmanship, I would suppose it dates from the second half of the 20th century.
tigerchipz

Post by tigerchipz »

davidross wrote:It looks to me like the bowl of a cocktail or cordial that is missing its base and stem. If it is indeed silver, then it probably had some marks on the missing parts.

That said, from the rather crude workmanship, I would suppose it dates from the second half of the 20th century.
Thanks, i kind of suspected it when i looked at other bowls with no holes in them. It would have been a very small stem as the hole is very small, i'm not surprised it came apart.
Ag999
contributor

Post by Ag999 »

Some resemblance to "swami silver" from Madras, southern India. Late 19th, early 20th C. I believe. You'd better investigate further.

Return to “Far East”