ZUNG. LI Chinese Export silver or retail mark?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
richard357fallon

ZUNG. LI Chinese Export silver or retail mark?

Post by richard357fallon »

Picked up a wonderful set of 12 silver nut dishes 10 of them are simply marked China ZUNG. LI and the other 2 matching patterns ones with Chinese characters. I realize although the same pattern these may not be from the same maker and im not as concerned about the characters. Just wondering if any one as any info ZUNG. LI

Thanks everyone!
Richard
davidross
contributor

Re: ZUNG. LI Chinese Export silver or retail mark?

Post by davidross »

I would be most concerned about the Chinese characters, as they provide more of an indication of silver content than a makers' or retailers' mark.

In the photo provided, the Chinese characters are not clear impressions, which in my mind always raises suspicions. The Chinese mark on the left is the crucial one. For that matter, to have only a retailers' mark with "CHINA" would in some cases suggest a lower grade silver content and a late Republican era production.

Those other items marked Zung Li that I have seen appear to date from the 1920s-1930s, but they are only tentatively dated based on style and quality, and the "CHINA" mark, rather than on documentation.

I have no definite information on this retailer, but someone else may know more.

Please bear in mind that this is only one opinion based on a few photographs. Photos of all of the Chinese marks might yield different results.

Regards,

DR
richard357fallon

Post by richard357fallon »

thank you for the great information DR. those were the best impressions of the Chinese marks and again they were only on 2 of the 12 pieces. Also you were correct on the silver content the 2 with Chinese characters pieces both were both 900 silver and the ones with the "China Zung LI" marks tested between 83% and 86% (typical on what we find with the later pieces). Hope this helps anyone, thanks again - Richard
davidross
contributor

Post by davidross »

Thank you, RIchard, for providing information on silver content.

Cheers,

David Ross

Return to “Far East”