chinese bowl(?)

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
huszas76
contributor

chinese bowl(?)

Post by huszas76 »

Hello!
A few years ago a made this pictures. Today I found in my computer and I realized, that I know nothing about it.
Can anyone tell something the maker?
Sorry for the blurry pictures, that time bought my first camera, and learn photo.
I hope someone now the marks!
Best regards!
Krisztián
davidross
contributor

Re: chinese bowl(?)

Post by davidross »

Hello Krisztián,

It's nice to see you posting down here in the East Asian section for a change.

The mark looks like WH. If so, that's Wang Hing and Co of Hong Kong, as listed in the CES section of World Hallmarks:

http://www.925-1000.com/chinex_04.html#M

It seems to be missing its original glass or porcelain bowl.

You probably already know that British import marks are for London 1898, which corresponds with Wang Hing's dates. I am not certain if the importer is Marples and Co, Maple and Co, or someone else, but an expert in that area should be able to identify it if the mark is moved to the London Forum.

Cheers
DR
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

The importer was indeed Maple & Co.. The mark was registered with the LAO on the 14th July 1898.

Trev.
huszas76
contributor

Post by huszas76 »

Dear DR. and Trev!
Thank you for your answers. After when I sent the post, I realized my mistakes, so I'm sorry for my poor english.
Now I see, the answers is in the site too, so it was a little bit unnecessary to post it. But i don't regret, maybe for some of the guess good to see similar items! (And for us too)
DR, thank you for the nice words, I'm pretty sure, I will post items, pictures here too, but I see less items from Asia. And you right, the glass is missing.
Best regards!
Krisztián
davidross
contributor

Post by davidross »

Hello Krisztián,

I certainly agree with you. Although the retailer's mark is already listed in the CES section, it is helpful for everyone interested in CES to see a well-marked piece like this. The full set of British import marks provide a great deal of new information.

Looking forward to your future posts down here in the Far East,

David R

Return to “Far East”