Need Help Identifying this mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
mastergiorgi

Need Help Identifying this mark

Post by mastergiorgi »

Hi Brothers

I am Giorgi, the story of my is that, my grand parent, has an gift bought somewhere in period of 1910-1915 in Republic Georgia, at this moment was a Russian Empire occupied state. An item is Silver shot glass with scenes of sea habitats and frogs. on the bottom side is a Hallmark with a Chinese hieroglyphs, which for me was not even nearly described.

Please could somebody help me to encode , what type of hallmark is it, estimated date of made and etc.

I will be very pleased.

Thanks
davidross
contributor

Re: Need Help Identifying this mark

Post by davidross »

Hello Giorgi

Welcome to the Forum.

The maker or retailer of this shot glass is 源 記, which can be phoneticized Yuan Ji, Yuan Ki, or Yuan Kee. There is a known maker Yuan Ji who uses different Chinese characters, 元 記. These two different first characters sometimes have a similar meaning, but it seems unlikely that they indicate the same maker. I have found no information on the maker of your shot glass.

The mark on the right side is a Chinese "fine silver" mark that does not guarantee any specific purity, but usually indicates some approximation of coin silver standard.

From the style, I would think this dates slightly later, some time between 1920 and 1940, probably the mid-1920s to early 1930s, but it could be slightly earlier.

Hopefully someone familiar with this maker will be able to post more information.

Regards

DR
mastergiorgi

Re: Need Help Identifying this mark

Post by mastergiorgi »

Dear Davidross

Thank you so much. Will wait for additional info.

Return to “Far East”