Chinese silver spoon?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
mk209
contributor

Chinese silver spoon?

Post by mk209 »

Picked this up today at a local antique shop but I've no idea if it has much age or where it comes from? It's very soft silver and is not as yellow as English silver.

Matt.
davidross
contributor

Re: Chinese silver spoon?

Post by davidross »

Hi Matt,

The spoon has Chinese marks, it may be from China or more likely from SE Asia or some other part of Asia where Chinese characters are used.

The marks are quite similar to those in this earlier post about a bracelet:

925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36403

That said, the marks on the spoon bear some definite differences to those on the bracelet.

My personal opinion is that these items are of more recent (post-1950) manufacture, but perhaps they hail from an as-yet largely undocumented regional tradition. I also wonder, from your comment about the color of the silver, if the spoon is of a lower grade of silver and therefore bears these rather unusual marks. At any rate, I am keeping an open mind for the while. I do believe that the jury is still out on the spoon as well as the bracelet, pending positive identification and explanation of marks like these with long strings of characters that do not fit the usual patterns of marking Chinese silver.

Please bear in mind that this is only one opinion. Hopefully someone else will provide a more satisfactory answer.

Regards
DR

Return to “Far East”