Chinese Silver and Enamel Vase

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
micaela

Chinese Silver and Enamel Vase

Post by micaela »

Hi, I see this Chinese Silver and Enamel Vase. I need help to identify the marks.

Kind Regards

Micaela

davidross
contributor

Re: Chinese Silver and Enamel Vase

Post by davidross »

It's a Tientsin maker.

Unfortunately, the maker's mark is partly obscured by the drill hole. Someone else may be familiar with this maker and recognize it.

Regards,
DR
FTJJ

Post by FTJJ »

As David had identified, the first two characters are 天津 (Tientsin). The characters that follow are 物華 (Wu Hua), who was regarded as one of the three most reputable gold and silver jewelry dealers in Tientsin (nowadays Tianjin). The last character is 厚, name of the silversmith.

The two characters on the left 足纹 is the silver mark.

Hope this helps.

FTJJ
davidross
contributor

Post by davidross »

Kudos, FTJJ, most definitely helpful and a good addition to the CES marks page when it is updated.

There seems to be an additional character beneath the 足纹 silver mark, it is mostly missing, but do you have an idea of what it might be? Only rarely do we see CES pieces bearing the mark of both the silversmith and the engraver, I am wondering if in this case there might be a second mark for the enameler.

Cheers,
DR
FTJJ

Post by FTJJ »

Thanks David.

I am afraid I cannot make anything out of the last symbol as it was partly cut off.

By the way, there was also Wu Hua 物華 in Peking (Beijing) who served the foreign communities there including the British Embassy — as can be seen from an inscription I came across.

Cheers,

FTJJ

Return to “Far East”