RFI Hallmark & Silver Fineness 990 Enameled Spoons &

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
aranya

RFI Hallmark & Silver Fineness 990 Enameled Spoons &

Post by aranya »

Dear Folks,

Would like to know the following for this set of dessert 6 spoons & 6 forks. They appear to be 990 silver with enamel and gold gilding on the handle with the studio hallmark/logo/graphic.

Thanks for your assistance and best regards,

Chris

Image[/url]
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

South Korean souvenir/commemorative type pieces, the symbol at the top (two Phoenix over a Rose of Sharon) is the Presidential Standard, in use since 1967.

~Cheryl
aranya

Post by aranya »

Cheryl,

Thanks for your post! I did a google image search based on your information but had no luck in finding an image of the South Korean emblem.

Do you have an online image reference that I can look at or reference for South Korean silver standards?

Thanks for your assistance,

Chris
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Hi Chris, my google image search for south korean presidential standard pulled up several images of of the flag. Have no idea if there is an official Korean silver standard or if it's regulated in any way, and won't vouch for the fineness of the silver, but I've had several modern Korean silver souvenir spoons over the years, usually marked "70%" or "99%", and occasionally "80%" or "990" (suspect there might be "90%" pieces out there too), my jeweler tested the 99% piece and it was about right. Have only run across a couple of pieces that appeared to have a bit of age and they were marked "SILVER".

~Cheryl
aranya

Post by aranya »

Cheryl,

Thanks for your info again! I was able to find the presidential standard for South Korea.

Do you anything about the hallmark next to the "990" mark on the spoon and fork. Could this be the artist or studio hallmark?

When you acquired your sets of South Korean commemorative spoons - did you get them in South Korea? Were and are they available to the public for sale? Or are they a state presentation gift from the goverment to visiting dignataries or other persons who might receive a state gift?

Thanks again,

Chris
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

I'm a souvenir spoon collector, don't really have much interest in Korean spoons, but they turn up occasionally. Most of mine have been in mixed lots, and my Mom took possession of a set of teaspoons with enamel cranes and small Korean red & blue Yin-Yangs.

I've haven't seen your particular design before, though I did have one with the Presidential symbol. Since you have a set, it might have been some sort of official gift (is there anything on the box?), or it may have been a nice souvenir, perhaps of a visit to the Presidential residence. They look like a commercial product to me, the mark may well belong to the manufacturer, definitely can't help you there.....

~Cheryl
aranya

Post by aranya »

Cheryl,

I think that these were a State gift of some sort. The box has the same Presidential Standard on the inside lid. Here is photo:

Again, thanks for your assistance. It has been a pleasure to take part in this treasure hunt with you.

Best regards,

Chris

Return to “Far East”