Persian silver marks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
oel
co-admin

Persian silver marks

Post by oel »

Hi,

A friend asks me if I can tell him a little more about what I believe could be Persian 20th century marks; 2nd mark the Persian numeral ۸ ۴ or 84 (zolotniki) as 875/1000 parts silver . I appreciate your assistance.

Thanks!

Oel.
davidross
contributor

Re: Persian silver marks?

Post by davidross »

Hi Oel,

It upper mark looks like it says Esfahan (Isfahan).

Someone who reads Farsi will be able to confirm.

Cheers,

David R
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi David,

Thanks very much for your reply. Today I showed the image at our weekly local wet market to my Iranian greengrocer and according to him and his wife; the top mark could stands for:

قلمکار‎

Which translate to; Ghalam-Kari.

Ghalam-Kari or Qalamkari also Qalamkaaror qalamkar, kalamkar is derived from the Persian words ghalam (pen) and kari (craftmanship), meaning drawing with a pen. This is a type of hand-painted or wooden block-printed cotton textile, using natural dyes. It is an old craft that has been used as a conduit for their artistic creativity by the Iranian graphic designers, since the antiquity.
Those beautiful and intriguing designs on textile and perhaps carpets we also can find back on metals:
Ghalam Zani صنایع دستی is the art of engraving and embossing elaborate designs, patterns and shapes on metals such as copper, silver, gold, and brass. It is widely used to make decorative trays, plates, vases, pitchers, etc. This magnificent art has a long history dating back to more than several thousand years ago. The most recognized centers for the production of Ghalam-Zani are currently in cities of Isfahan or Esfahan اصفهان, Shiraz, Tehran, Tabass, and Kermanshah. In the past Isfahan used to be the main centre for this type of engraving.

I have to apologize for not been able to show images of the object; a Persian cocktail shaker and still in transit. However I do hope to be able to show all particulars in a few days.

Best,

Oel.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Great explanation Oel.

I'm sure we all look forward to seeing the item itself.

Trev.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi All,

This Persian cocktail shaker measures 23 cm tall and the weight 516 gram. Typical Persian designs and motifs with flowers and birds.

In 1872 the first 3 -piece cocktail shaker was patented. The bottom part fits nice and tight on to the top part and the build in s
creen is to hold back the ice, made 20th century.

David & Trev, when in the neighborhood you are invited for cocktails at my place.

Cheers,

Oel
davidross
contributor

Re: Persian silver marks

Post by davidross »

Magnificent piece!

I am a bit surprised to see that the mystery item turns out to be a cocktail shaker. I thought Iran / Persia has always been as dry as the desert.

Look forward to taking you up on your offer, also to repaying the favor if you find yourself in this corner of the globe.

Cheers, indeed!

David R
annasttasiaaa

Post by annasttasiaaa »

This piece is stunning! Made by Parvaresh. One of the most famous silver carvers of all the time and from Isphahan,Iran
annasttasiaaa

Post by annasttasiaaa »

davidross wrote:Magnificent piece!

I am a bit surprised to see that the mystery item turns out to be a cocktail shaker. I thought Iran / Persia has always been as dry as the desert.

Look forward to taking you up on your offer, also to repaying the favor if you find yourself in this corner of the globe.

Cheers, indeed!

David R
Persian looks as dry as the desert not he surface and specially to the outsiders! Visit the country and hang out with the right people and you would encounter the biggest surprises of your life time in that bit of land!
davidross
contributor

Post by davidross »

While it has nothing to do with silver hallmarks, where tourism is concerned perhaps annasttasiaaa can lure me hither with tales of Iran's fabled national liquors and some enticing Iranian cocktail recipes.
annasttasiaaa

Post by annasttasiaaa »

davidross wrote:While it has nothing to do with silver hallmarks, where tourism is concerned perhaps annasttasiaaa can lure me hither with tales of Iran's fabled national liquors and some enticing Iranian cocktail recipes.
Ever heard of Syrah & Shiraz Wine originated in Iran? thanks to the grapes of Shiraz, many resourceful Iranians still get to make their own Syrah wine while Some of the alcohol is smuggled in! However, back to the silver, let me add that Shiraz, like Isfahan, has nice handcrafted silver although it is quite rare to find in the market these days!
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Annasttasiaaa, welcome to the forums and thank you very much for your contribution.
What I could find about the Parvaresh family;
MOHAMMAD BAGHER PARVARESH WAS BORN CIRCA 1910 IN ISFAHAN. HIS FATHER, MOHAMMAD SADEGH ZARGAR, WAS ONE OF ONLY A FEW GOLDSMITHS WORKING IN THE CITY. MOHAMMAD BAGHER APPRENTICED TO HIS FATHER.

AFTER GAINING HIS FREEDOM HE SET UP HIS FIRST WORKSHOP ON WEST CHAR BAGH STREET CIRCA 1928, AND IN 1937 MOVED TO A LARGER WORKSHOP AND STOREFRONT ON EAST CHAR BAGH WHERE HE WORKED UNTIL HIS DEATH IN 1978.

AT HIS WORKSHOP, MASTER PARVARESH, TOGETHER WITH HIS APPRENTICES AND SONS, STRIVED FOR OPTIMIZING THE TECHNIQUES OF THE ART AND INTRODUCED NEW DESIGNS FOR THE ENHANCEMENT OF PERSIAN SILVER THAT HAD LARGELY BEEN NEGLECTED DURING THE QAJAR ERA AND REDUCED TO THE MAKING OF SMALL JEWLEREY ITEMS DEVOID OF ANY CREATIVITY.

THE REPUTATION OF MASTER PARVARESH AND HIS DEVOTION TO THE ART LED TO A GOVERNMENT-SANCTIONED REPORT ON THE LACK OF ADHERENCE TO SILVER STANDARDS BY SOME OF THE MAKERS IN 1951. AS SUCH HE WAS CHARGED TO FOUND ISFAHAN'S GOLDSMITHS AND SILVERSMITHS GUILD IN 1954.

HE IS THE PATRIARCH OF THE RENOWNED PARVARESH LINE OF SILVERSMITHS THAT INCLUDE HIS SON HOSSAIN WHO IS STILL ACTIVE.

One of the maker’s marks contributed to Reza Parvaresh, please see topic:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... sh#p103305

Could you please explain why the maker’s mark on the cocktail shaker could be for one and perhaps which particular member of the Parvaresh family? Also a possible time frame should be nice, thanks!

Best,

Oel.
annasttasiaaa

Post by annasttasiaaa »

Hi Oel,

The maker of this piece is Reza Parvaresh. whom-I'd think- would be the older son of Mohammad Bagher Parvaresh . While his youngest son's name is Hossein Parvaresh .

I might be able to obtain more accurate information by making some phone calls but that'll take some time. When I do, I'll post bk!
annasttasiaaa

Post by annasttasiaaa »

I might be able to ask but takes few days. Will post back when I get to obtain an info,
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Annasttasiaa,

Much appreciated, thank you very much, look forward to reading your reply.

Regards,

Oel.
annasttasiaaa

Post by annasttasiaaa »

Oel, the person I spoke with,unfortunately, could not tell who would be the one that signed " Parvaresh" as there are number of other silversmiths from that family. However, since I got some pieces that are signed by "Parvaresh" only, I'd like to investigate more. I am going to try to get hold of the owner of the only Parvaresh silver store in Isfahan. Maybe, he'd be able to help. Whenever, I find it out, will share it with you!
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Annasttasiaa, thanks appreciate your efforts. I tried to contact Amir through LinkedIn a few weeks ago, but so far no reaction,will share if Amir gives reply.

Best wishes,

Oel.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi All,

Today I received an email from Parvaresh Gallery ;
Dear Sir,
This cocktail shaker has been made in 1961, And the engraver is Rasool Parvaresh. You can see his image and biography from our website:
http://www.parvareshsilver.com/%d8%b2%d ... %b1%d8%b4/
Sincerely
Parvareshsilver

For more examples of Pavaresh craftsmanship and beautiful silver work, see:
http://www.parvareshsilver.com/

Best,

Peter
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

The cocktail shaker has been tested by the use of a XRF spectrometer by Klumpers Goud en Diamant handel ( https://klumpers.nl/)
It has been tested in three parts; beaker No 9894 silver 881.6, middle cap with strainer No 9895 silver 912.3, cap No 9896 silver 866.2
ImageImage

My conclusion Persian numeral ۸۴ for 84 (zolotnik) or 875/1000 parts silver

Peter.

Return to “Middle East”