TURKISH PALM BOX FRENCH SILVER ???

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
MP1

TURKISH PALM BOX FRENCH SILVER ???

Post by MP1 »

Hi

I have this beautiful Turkish palm box but would like some of you guys to look at it too. I am sure it is 19th century but thats about it. I would say that the birds flowers and scrolls etc. are french or maybe dutch but again I cannot be sure. Each side is definitely decorated by a different silversmith. The only mark i can find on the box is on the front, above the birds to the right, half way down one of the scrolls. I have never seen it before so again i am not sure. Still a very lovely item but would like to try and gather some more information about it.

Great if you guys could help

AG2012
contributor

Re: TURKISH PALM BOX FRENCH SILVER ???

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The idea of two different silversmiths working on the box (a tobacco box?) is supported by two different styles and techniques. Most probably, the box belonged to a Muslim pilgrim who had his box engraved with the image of the Grand Mosque in Mecca with Kaaba between them (if you search for it you will recognize the colonnade and two minarets). Pilgrimage to Mecca or Hajj is one of the five pillars of Islam. It was a memento, a souvenir of the important journey the owner made at the time.
We`ll have to work on the mark (or more marks, if any). With so much embossing they can be hidden within the décor or found in unexpected places (rim of the lid, etc).
Try to take better close up images.
Best wishes
MP1

Post by MP1 »

AG,

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, very interesting. I would love to say there are more marks but I'm pretty sure there isn't. Although I will have another search tomorrow. Apologies for poor close ups, ill take some more tomorrow and post them up.

Thanks again
MP1

Post by MP1 »

Hi

Unfortunately my search has been unsuccessful. i have searched section by section through the embossing, rim of lid and base included the interior. As we know this is an object with quite a bit of age to it, so there are a couple of marks on the silver that made me look twice or increase the loupe magnification but, alas, nothing that would indicate a punch mark. There are a few marks on the surface directly under the main mark that we can see. Looks like possibly the letter U and maybe something else but I am pretty sure they are just not relevant. I have taken some more photographs from a variety of angles. I am not the best photographer so please tell me if they aren't good enough and i will try again.

Really appreciate any comments or thoughts that any of you may have.

Regards

MP1

MP1

Post by MP1 »

This has been posted for over 2 weeks, I appreciate you guys must be busy but is this mark so obscure nobody can help??
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Actually, yes, the mark is obscure, or featureless if I may say so. Even the background (the cartouche) is not well defined and let alone the figure within it. I have downloaded, enlarged, enhanced the contrast and rotated it in 4 directions. It`s really beyond recognition, not the slightest idea; if we could only even suspect what the image within the mark is. That`s all for the time being.
Best wishes.
MP1

Post by MP1 »

Thanks for the reply AG. Apologies if I sounded impatient, I thought my request for help had been overlooked. Thank you for rearranging close ups of the mark. Your right it is featureless, everyone I have showed the box to doesn't know either. It's a real mystery. Usually we would find another mark/s on the box, either inside, amongst the decoration or on the edges somewhere. Unfortunately there isn't which makes it an uphill task to identify. Thanks again for the time you have used to look at the photos. I appreciate your attention. If I find anything further I'll be sure to let you know. All the best MP1
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

I thought my request for help had been overlooked
Not overlooked with 495 views but your box is a difficult case, lacking distinctive marks. The only hope would be similar box with more marks.
Best wishes
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

I don't think that is a hallmark at all, just part of the chasing in the design.

Return to “Middle East”