niello cup. help requested for an i.d. and marks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dognose
Site Admin

Re: niello cup. help requested for an i.d. and marks

Post by dognose »

Hi Oliverjn,

Welcome to the Forum.

Many thanks for taking the time to update this topic.

Trev.
N.A.

Post by N.A. »

hi I new,
I was searching for niello work from armenian silversmiths and I have foud this forum,
the cup has armenian inisiales , T.A. ( could be inisiales the one who made it) there was Tigran Avagian silversmith in Van, could be his work
Van is one of Western Armenian cites, unther the ottoman empire, my grandfahers was born there , had more than 100 silversmiths and jewellers with niello tradations,
I am trying to recover their names, I have a small list..
you have to know was a sad past, genocide commited by young turk gouvenement and most of were killed or walked to death marche,
the survivers who were craftmas went to Tiflis now called (Tbilisi) in Georgia , to Estern Armenian Yerevan , and some of them to Persia, Tavris and Tehran

the rest is old ottoman inscription,probably made before 1915 genocide ,

there is a book published would be a good source to identify armenian masters

Armenian Master Silversmiths
(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi N.A.

Welcome, and thank you for your contributions to the forum.

We don't permit links to commercial websites, but I've added the details of the book that you've recommended below:

Armenian Master Silversmiths – 2005 - Osep Tokat

This complete volume focuses on the hidden world of Van City of Eastern Turkey and gifted Armenian silversmiths who populated the Ottoman Empire. Most of their work was centered in the region of Van, which is the focus on this volume. This volume, in English and Armenian, includes a history of Van, the art of Armenian silver and gold craftsman, and full-color pictures of hundreds of beautiful pieces. All proceeds from this book will be used to create a fund supporting teachers in Armenia. 316 pages, hard cover ISBN# 0977131203, Tarihi Van Sehri, Turkiye hakkinda butun bilgileri bu kitapta bulabilirsiniz.

Trev.
N.A.

Post by N.A. »

thank you,
oh, sorry I wanted only to refer to the source not to the book shop , the writer did some searches and bring very nice examples of niello ,,, only I dont know yet how to post photos hier ,,,
I am working on the list of Armenian crafman mostly silversmiths and goldsmiths in Van, there were more than100 armenian workshops in the city before 1915,
sinds Armenian Van is disappeared with sad events in1915 , the work of artist stamps with ottoman markes and their
initials are around the world and very anknown to public as Armenian craftsmanship niello and filligrin ,,,,
ottoman doesn't mean Turkish there were several Christians nations living there from ancient time who become minorites today in their own land,
without politicalising the question ,

so if can useful to translate I will be delighted, myself I student in academy in Brussels in jewellery art .

greetings
N
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi N,

We're always very grateful for any information that you can share with us and we hope to hear a lot more from you in the future.

Trev.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi N
I wonder if you can help me identify a maker of my enameled box that i thought was Russian? I have been told it was made in Armenia.The mark is like Ld4 in a square .I you search enameled Russian box ( gsmoggy) you with see images of the maker.If you have the book on Armenia silversmiths by Tokat this mark might be there.

Regards Guido.

Return to “Middle East”