India Silver Identification

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
ideabuilder

India Silver Identification

Post by ideabuilder »

Hello,

Two questions:

I have this set from India, and I would like to know what this is called? It comes with two small cups and a tray.

Second, it says "Pure Silver" but I was under the assumption this is usually coin or sterling?

Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks
WarrenKundis
contributor

Re: India Silver Identification

Post by WarrenKundis »

Good Day,

This decanter and small cups are most likely used for cordials or after dinner liqueurs. Have no idea if that is a traditional Indian custom or introduced by the British.

Pure silver as it's written I believe appears after 1948 but not sure. Most likely just indicates a hight level of silver content. Let's see if anyone can clarify that for us.

Warren
davidross
contributor

Post by davidross »

I have never seen "pure silver" stippled or etched by hand on an Indian piece, and would recommend having it tested for silver content.

I agree with Warren that this style of marking by hand (very common on Indian brass pieces) usually dates from after independence. For the two or three decades preceding independence, Indian metalwork for the export and tourist trade was often stamped "Made in British India," usually in block letters.

Regards
DR
MG
contributor

Post by MG »

I would describe this as being a fairly contemporary variation of the Islamic influenced Kashmiri regional style.
I would expect it to be of fairly recent manufacture but its good quality and I would expect it to be sterling grade.

Return to “Middle East”