Tea set, fruit stand from Marocco?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
MaciejM

Tea set, fruit stand from Marocco?

Post by MaciejM »

Hello,

It's my first post here, and I can say, this forum is a storehouse of knowledge:)

Wel..I've got very interesting teaset with a fruit stand. I have no idea where does it come from, and when was it made...I've googled old teapots and I've found quite similiar to mine in Marocco. Ornament looks almost the same. There are also some words on the bottom of each dish. Unfortunately I'm not able to identify it. I've tried to google it but no success. Tea pot has a holder with strange mark. Maybe, this is an arabic letter or manufacturer's signature. There is the same problem with fruit stand, but there is a letter which means european "b"..propably...I've took some photos, have a look, please. Many, many thanks!

All:

Tea pot:

Words and mark:

Fruit stand:

Mark:
oel
co-admin

Re: Tea set, fruit stand from Marocco?

Post by oel »

Hi welcome to the forum.

The engraving, third image; the last word reads Baraka which I believe is Arabic for a form of Islamic Blessing.

Oel.
Francais

Post by Francais »

Sorry everyone seems to be ignoring your question. The marks you see on the handles don't mean anything. If you mean that each piece has the same writing around the stars on the bottom, then you need to find an example that is more legible. The language is probably a mixture of French and Arabic, Oel got "benediction" already, and the rest is too difficult to read. I asked a friend who is fluent in French and Arabic, she had no more luck than I did.
Quite honestly it is obviously hand made, probably by a small craftsman, so I doubt you are going to be able to identify the maker.
Maurice
MaciejM

Post by MaciejM »

Thank you very much for your help in this matter. This is the best way how can I find out something more about this tea set. It's really difficult to identify this letters, because this photo shows the least damaged marks. Now I know what I should look for, and I will try to solve this riddle:) It will be tough...but...well..There are some hints because of you:
- Baraka,
- Five stars,
- French and Arabic letters,
Not so many..If I find some clues, I will post. Maurice, your scenario is quite possible.
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

If I may put this in an Islamic context; the baraka or blessing is most likely directed at the silversmith and/or the owner of this tea service. For example; the Muslim who plants a tree receives a blessing from Allah (S.W.T). Every time a person, a bird, or even insect benefits from its shade or fruit he receives another blessing even after he returns to Allah. The use of this service works in the same way.

In my own limited experience with these types of hallmarks, resources are extremely limited.

Enjoy them for what they are Insha Allah!
Warren

Return to “Middle East”