Unknown Marks for country or maker.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Baccus

Unknown Marks for country or maker.

Post by Baccus »

G'day All
I am new to the forum after getting a pretty little white metal (stamped inside but dont know the marks) hexagon box with a inlaid mother of pearl lid. I thought the box might have been used for beauty spots or possibly a pill or snuff box.
Any way here are some pictures of it and I hope somebody can identify the maker and or country of origin.
Top view
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n54 ... 060782.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Side View
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n54 ... 060783.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stamps inside the box
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n54 ... 060789.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The inside of the lid also has a stamp but only the one on the right of the picture.
Sorry dont know how to upload pics to this forum so hope the direct links work
Hose_dk
contributor

Re: Unknown Marks for country or maker.

Post by Hose_dk »

midddle east for sure.

Mark gives idea of the Egypt mark - but not correct http://www.925-1000.com/foreign_marks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
could be something i nighbour countries ?
Or could be white metal - therefor the mark should look. Dont know, but the decoration Turkey and middle east.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

The picture was upside down;it is silver 800.
Baccus

Post by Baccus »

Thankyou for the help, are you able to tell me any more about silver 800?
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Unfortunately, I can read Arabic numerals only; your box is made of silver, for sure,and .800 purity is common worldwide.As for the maker or even the country cannot tell - but not Egypt;I would recognize it.As already mentioned here:Middle East.With items like this we seldom identify the maker.
Enjoy your box - it is very nice.
Baccus

Post by Baccus »

Thank you again, I think its a pretty little no matter where it was made also really cuffed that it only cost admin edit, the marks inside the box are so small I think the shop selling it had not seen the marks so they only graded it as white metal not silver.
Baccus

Post by Baccus »

I was just wondering if anyone else might have destingished what the marks in my little box meant or pinned down further which country it came from.
Thanks
Noble Metals

Post by Noble Metals »

Hi, I have to vote for Egypt - there is arabic script above the 800 and it likely denotes Alexandria or Cairo assay office. There is no official country stamp for Egypt on your piece, althought it is not uncommon to find only one or two of the normally three-part Egyptian marks, especially on smaller items or parts.
Adel

Post by Adel »

Baccus wrote:Thankyou for the help, are you able to tell me any more about silver 800?
This is Egyptian from 1949 and yes it is marked 800 for purity
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hello again,
Adel is right about Cairo and 1949 year letter in Arabic.
There is no official Egypt mark, though.
Purity .800 means 800 parts of pure silver in 1000 parts of alloy (80 %).The rest is mostly copper.
Regards
Kimmik

Post by Kimmik »

I have exactly the same Hallmarks on a small scarab beetle pill box that I bought in Cairo around 16 or 17 years ago.

Return to “Middle East”