Turkish Coffie Cup

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
juliany

Turkish Coffie Cup

Post by juliany »

I inherited this coffee cup and holder, which i believe came to the family from my grandmothers sec on husband who was a turkish army officer.

it might not be turkish as another piece i receive is 1942 Egyptian

I believe it to be gilt, but there are no marks i can find.

Does any one recognise it, or can tell me anything about it, or where i might find any identifying features.

davidross
contributor

Re: Turkish Coffie Cup

Post by davidross »

I believe that is a demitasse cup for coffee. In Turkey, the metal holder is called a zarf.

If it is antique Turkish silver, it should have a Tughra mark. For an example, see Turkey under World Hallmarks:

http://www.925-1000.com/foreign_marks3.html

Regards,

David R
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

How wonderful to have the original case, as well as the porcelain liner (called a 'finjan'), they often go missing, and I see quite a few such zarfs offered as egg cups. Would expect it to be Ottoman - the tughra and fineness marks can be found in different areas, might be on the outside of the top or base, hidden in the design, or on the inside of the cup or under the base, the base typically is screwed onto the top and sometimes marks are found on both pieces...

~Cheryl
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Good morning again Cheryl and all,

Went for Maghrib Salaat (sundown prayer) to the Mosque last night then showed the first image to a Brother. Asked him to translate it, said he could not read it it's Persian (Farsi). Everything David and Cheryl are saying about the marks still applies but we are most likely looking for Persian marks although this fine object may have both, we have seen that as well. Let me also get a second opinion or a partial translation on the calligraphy.

So please give a few other shots of the inside, outside, and around the other side of your zarf. Any marks on the case?

Warren

Return to “Middle East”