Unable to Identify a Mexican Silversmith

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Ron2569

Unable to Identify a Mexican Silversmith

Post by Ron2569 »

I'm trying to identify the Mexican Silversmith that created a statue of silver eagles that I recently purchased. I will gladly attach the pictures of the statue and makers mark, but I don't see how to do this.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Unable to Identify a Mexican Silversmith

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

The below should help you:

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

and: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42199

http://www.postimg.com is recommended. Embedded images get a far greater response than just posting links.

Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post.

Trev.
Ron2569

Post by Ron2569 »

Photos of the piece
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

The firm's name is Silver Home.

Their address:

ALVARO CARRILLO Mz. 69 Lt. 11 Col. SAN JOSE TLAHUAC
CODIGO POSTAL 13020
Mexico, D.F

The piece, I suspect, may not be solid silver, perhaps more likely to be a resin base covered with a silver coating. Can you confirm that?

Trev.
Ron2569

Post by Ron2569 »

The statue weighs approximately 1 kilo or 2 lbs, and it is approximately 6" at the base and 12" high. I was told by the Jeweler Factory (a large and apparently a reputable business) in Playa Del Carmen where I purchased it that it was made from a solid piece of silver, and it took the craftsman 3 months to carve it. I was also told that the artist is located in Mexico City.

How can I tell if it is resin base covered in silver?

I tried this morning to find the Silver Home website so I communicate with them, but I was unable to find anything but pretty pictures of their pieces. Is there a email address for Silver Home?

Is ALVARO CARRILLO the name of the artist?
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
it took the craftsman 3 months to carve it
This is impossible; silver is not carved but cast in mold (lost wax technique for example).
Trev has suggested to check whether it`s solid .999 pure silver (which I doubt).
File the base in an inconspicuous place several millimeters deep.
Best wishes and good luck
Fri98

Post by Fri98 »

Mexican here... In Mexico streets address begin with the street name followed by the number... Therefore Alvaro Carrillo is the name of the street where the Manufacturer is located.

Sadly there are many fraudulent business stores in the country, specially in high tourism zones (e.g. Playa del Carmen) and police do nothing about it because frankly, they just don't care... Next time you buy jewelry or art, make sure they make every test possible in front of you... Or go to a place that shows high security measures, like controlled access, cameras (on the out and inside), attendants well dressed, etc...

Return to “Mexican Silversmiths”