Help with the Crown mark

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
maziyarcem

Help with the Crown mark

Post by maziyarcem »

Hi,

I recently purchased a twin handled silver bowl. The seller claimed that it is 17th century Turkish but I know it is not Turkish. I don't think it is that old either. It has two hallmarks at the bottom. No marks on the handles. Can anyone tell me where it is from? Thank you so much./Users/mazot/Desktop/12.jpg/Users/mazot/Desktop/11.jpg/Users/mazot/Desktop/15.jpg

oel
co-admin

Re: Help with the Crown mark

Post by oel »

Hi, welcome to the forum.

To me it appears to be made out of pewter and I believe it could be pewter marks.

Best,

Oel.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Moved this piece to the Mexican forum because it's Spanish Colonial - not where I can check my references at the moment, but these pieces were often faked by some Mexican shops in the first part of the 20th century...

~ Cheryl
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Cheryl, I found this:

Here's a scan from Leona Davis Boylan's book "Spanish Colonial Silver".

Pat.

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... ish#p40351

Best,

Peter
maziyarcem

Post by maziyarcem »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the messages. I tested it, it seems like it is silver. Are you sure it is pewter? Please let me know. Thank you so much for the responses.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi,
We are looking at images and images can be deceiving. You stated you tested it and it seems to be silver. Did you use an acid test and do you trust the outcome? If the answer is yes it is most likely not made out of pewter.

Best,

Peter
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

I just found these images in an old file. I have no recollection of the source, so I apologise if they are someone else's images.

I just have them filed as Guatemala. No idea if these are genuine, or as Cheryl has suggested, one of the many pieces with forged marks.

Trev.
maziyarcem

Post by maziyarcem »

Peter,

I used an acid test on the handle. It looks like very low grade silver. I didn't rub it much because I don't want to change the piece. Another friend of mine also said that it felt like pewter. I think you are right. It is most likely pewter made to look like silver.

I will try to return this item on eBay now. First I had to find out it is not Turkish, now it is not even silver. Thank you so much for your responses.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

It's definitely not Turkish, but I have yet to see similar pieces, whether genuine or fake, that are not silver. I am tied up with family at the moment, but can look through Boylan when I get a chance, though it is not a definitive reference. Personally, if this was mine, would seek more information before returning it...

~Cheryl
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Return to “Mexican Silversmiths”