MAYBE Mexican mark, but which one?

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
eglass

MAYBE Mexican mark, but which one?

Post by eglass »

Hello again! Another find from this afternoons auction - a set of small 5" diameter plates with only the mark shown below. I found an auction on eBay for a brooch/pin with the same mark, and that seller is thinking Mexican too, but ??

I can't tell if that's a "900" or a "gou" on there - the whole mark looks to be poorly stamped (incomplete on the edges). I'm thinking 900, but the rest of the mark is a mystery.

Whole plate: Image
Mark on back: Image

Again, I'd sure love some input.

Thanks!

Kelli
zkimmey

Post by zkimmey »

might be CASA PRIETO
roseangela

casa prieto

Post by roseangela »

Yes, it's from the silver shop Casa Prieto in Mexico City, and hallmark is from the 40's. It was on Avenue Juarez.
Yotie

Re: MAYBE Mexican mark, but which one?

Post by Yotie »

It would have to be CASA PRIETA, with an "A", to preserve correct grammatical agreement with the feminine casa. it means 'Black House'. Also you can see that the last letter is not rounded like an 'O' but is shaped like the 'A' above it.
admarketer1

Post by admarketer1 »

It's Casa Prieto.
SuzySomething

Post by SuzySomething »

I have a silver bracelet that belonged to my mother that is marked Casa Prieto 900. I think she purchased it in a small town just across the Mexico border from Laredo,Texas, sometime between 1940 and 1947. It's quite heavy, six silver hinged links with raised brass or gold figures depicting Aztec characters that seem to relate a story from one link to the next. The clasp is formed by a slot created on the first link that the fashioned spring pin/prong attached to the last link slips into and snaps closed. I've wondered for a very long time about the silver smith who created it. The bracelet was one of my mother's favorite pieces of jewelry which makes it very special to me.

Return to “Mexican Silversmiths”