Mexican Sterling Bracelet Carved Green Stone Face

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
STEVE LAPIN

Mexican Sterling Bracelet Carved Green Stone Face

Post by STEVE LAPIN »

I have a large Mexican sterling bracelet with a carved green stone in the center. The stone is carved in the form of a face with a large protruding proboscis! The marks on the underside of the bracelet indicate sterling 925 and Mexico, but I'm interested in the maker's marks MCE or MCS. There is also an eagle with the number 3 in the shield.

Any assistance about the maker and approximate time period would be greatly appreciated. Also if you have ideas about the stone, I'd like to hear from you. It has a quartz-like appearance, with many included crystals and several cleavage lines.

http://i49.tinypic.com/1z6jo1.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/jhx26f.jpg
(admin photo edit - images too large - link only - see Posting Requirements )
ValkyrieVixen
contributor

Post by ValkyrieVixen »

The eagle dates it from 1948-1979 and the 3 inside it denotes it being from Taxco. The mark is listed in the hallmark book but with no artisans name. That is more common than finding an artisan to go with a mark in Mex jewelry.
The mask is a common design in Mex jewelry, often called Aztec/Mayan Warrior masks. I even had one that had silver teeth, the first "Grill" ever. lol
From the pic the stone looks like it could be Aventurine but that is only a guess. Many sellers call green stones in Mex jewelry Jade but I haven't ever seen real Jade used in Mex pieces, it was always either dyed Travertine (often called Mexican Jade), glass and sometimes dyed Onyx.
STEVE LAPIN

Post by STEVE LAPIN »

Thank for the information! I would venture a guess at aventurine too. Not really dense enough to be onyx. It is possible that it's been dyed too. I also thought it looked Mayan. Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I have another piece in the "Other Jewelry" category. If you've got a moment, maybe you could take a look at it?
Beth

Return to “Mexican Silversmiths”