The Terry/Williams Family of Cork Silversmiths

CT
+
C.T
Carden Terry
Carden Terry was born in February 1742, the son of John Terry and Sarah Carden. He was apprenticed in 1758, but it is not known to whom. First mention, Corke Evening Post, 9th February 1764, advertising business at '"New House within 2 doors of Broad Lane, Corke, at the sign of the Golden Cup". Next mention, Cork Journal 23rd July 1764 states that 'he has lodgings to let near Broad Lane'. In 1765 it was noted that Carden Terry, son of John Terry, Burgess, opened up at Main Street, at the corner of Meeting House Lane, he also married Catherine Webb of Kilworth the same year. In 1768, he became a member of the Cork Goldsmiths Company. In the Hibernian Chronicle 30th April 1770 he advertised that he 'has returned from London and Dublin and set up as a goldsmith, wants an apprentice' Received Freedom of Cork in 1785 and registered with the Dublin Goldsmiths' Company in 1784 from his North Main Street, Cork location. His older sister, Jane, was married (February 1754) to the Clonmel silversmith, Hercules Morgan.

I.W
John Williams
John Williams was born on the 15th August 1771, his apprenticeship was served under Carden Terry, the years are not known, but he is thought to be working independently by 1791. He married Jane Terry, the daughter of Carden Terry, on the 6th August 1791 and received Freedom of Cork in 1795. The "IW" maker's mark would have been used c.1791-1795.
T&W
Carden Terry &
John Williams
John Williams became business partner to his former master and father-in-law, Carden Terry, in 1795, the new firm operated from John Williams' location on Grand parade. Williams died the 13th June 1806 and was buried a few days later at Cork. His cause of death was described as "Abscess in the lung from a cold while fishing". The "T&W" maker's mark likely dated c.1795-1806.

CT over IW
Carden Terry &
Jane Williams

Jane Williams (née Terry) was born 02 Dec 1771 to Carden and Catherine Terry. She married her father's former apprentice, John Williams in 1791. In 1807, within a year of her widowhood, she took over her husband's position and the firm became Carden Terry and Jane Williams. The firm operated until shortly after the decease of Carden Terry in 1821. The "CT over IW" mark would have been used c.1807-1821, it is also seen with Dublin hallmarks. Jane passed away in 1845.

CLOSE

© 2000-2013
925-1000.com