The Buck Family of Limerick & Cork Silversmiths

Adam Buck is likely to be the same Adam Buck noted as obtaining his freedom from the Dublin Goldsmiths Company in February 1690 - upon payment of a £2 fine.
AB
Adam Buck
He is believed to have been working in Dublin and was soon after fined for failing to attend meetings at Goldsmiths Hall. It was probably soon after that he set up business at Limerick. Assays noted by the Dublin Goldsmiths Company for goods received from Adam Buck of Limerick were noted in 1694, 1705-9, and 1712-13. Adam may have been the son of George Buck, a Burgess of Limerick, who may have also been George Bockendoght, Sheriff of Limerick in 1670, if the same then the Anglicising of the name suggests the family having Flemish or Dutch origins. Adam Buck's will was proved at Limerick in 1725. He is likely to be the father of Jonathan Buck Sr.

Jonathan Buck Sr., granted Freedom of the city of Limerick in 1731. The minutes of the Dublin Company make mention in 1729 of a cup by Jonathan Buck made of sub-standard silver and having soldered in hallmarks.
crowned IB
In 1731 he attracted the attention of the Revenue Commissioners following reports that he had purchased a quantity of stolen Danish silver from the stranded Dutch East India Company vessel, "The Golden Lyon". Buck Sr. relocated to Cork sometime between 1743 and 1755, he there advertised in 1755 as working out of "Mr Phillips, apothecary, near Peter's Church, makes and chaces all kinds of silverwork". He died at Castle Street, Cork on the 23rd October 1762, his wife, Faith, died at Dublin on the 24th February 1766, she is thought to have continued the business for a few years after his death.

Deer

(note - It is not known which of the "IB" marks belonged to the father or son, or whether they belonged only to one or the other. Both the "crowned IB" and the "IB in rectangle" have been noted stamped alongside the pictorial "buck" mark. The order the marks are placed on this page does not reflect ownership of them.)


Jonathan Buck Jr. was married in 1751 at St John's, Limerick and became a Freeman of that city of Limerick in 1762. He also relocated to Cork and became a Member of the Cork Goldsmiths
I.B
Company in 1768. Premises noted at Batchelor's Quay, near North Gate in 1769, and Fenn's Quay in 1787. Buck Jr. died at Fenn's Quay, Cork on the 25th November 1786, he was buried at Christchurch. His wife, Elizabeth, passed away in 1817. Two of their children, Adam Buck (b.1759, d.1833) and Frederick Buck (b.1771, d.1840) were miniaturists and portrait painters of excellent reputation.

CLOSE

© 2000-2013
925-1000.com